NEW IN THEATRES...
* Stake Land, a derivative but totally entertaining vampire-killing road trip. Playing this week in Portland at Cinema 21.
* Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives, Apichatpong Weerase-thakul's divisive meditation on death, folklore, and horny fish.
THIS WEEK IN DVD/BD REVIEWS...
* Ingrid Bergman in Sweden, three films from the homeland, before the iconic actress went to Hollywood.
* Leaving, an absolutely ordinary, and thus boring, infidelity drama with Kristin Scott Thomas.
* The Paranoids, a quirky dramedy from Argentina. An intriguing character study made all the better by its awesome lead actor.
* The Perfume of the Lady in Black, a chilly, pretty entry in the "blonde woman goes mad" genre of psychological horror. From 1974.
* Ricky, Francois Ozon's version of a family movie. Those crazy French! (Also, check out my capsule review of his most recent film, Potiche.)
* The Scent of Green Papaya, the perennial art house film from the early '90s is gorgeous on Blu-Ray. A romantic cinematic poem.
* The Vanquished, an early triptych by Michelangelo Antonioni.
Current Soundtrack: A Tribe Called Quest, The Love Movement
e-mail = golightly at confessions123.com * Midi-Confessions123 * Criterion Confessions * Live Journal Syndication * ComicSpace * Last FM * GoodReads * The Blog Roll [old version] * DVDTalk reviews * My Books On Amazon
All text (c) 2011 Jamie S. Rich