A personal diary keeping people abreast of what I am working on writing-wise.

Sunday, November 09, 2003

GOOD DOPE, GOOD FUN

Elin Winkler has come through with the explanation of "cop shoot cop," for those interested:

I know nothing of Spiritualized, but I could hazard a guess on the phrase "cop shoot cop", based on my extensive reading about drug addicts and
degenerates.

My guess would be it describes the cycle heroin addicts are constantly in-- their days are filled with the cycle of cop heroin, shoot it, then cop some
more. Reading about Lou Reed and the Velvet Underground, Edie Sedgwick, Dee Dee
Ramone & others would bear this out, since "copping" seems to be a
heroin-exclusive drug term- people "score" other drugs, but "cop" heroin. I don't know why
that is, but it's also shown up in other songs, notably "Chinese Rock" by the Ramones: "You wanna take a walk, you wanna go cop"

I think I know too much about drugs for a straightedge person. In an
abstract, intellectual way.


Current soundtrack: Spiritualized, Pure Phase

No comments: