A personal diary keeping people abreast of what I am working on writing-wise.

Friday, July 02, 2010

IT'S A GOD-AWFUL SMALL AFFAIR



NEW IN THEATRES...

* Cyrus, another uneven Duplass Bros. movie is elevated by excellent performances. Marisa Tomei, I'd write you a good script if you ever wanted one. Call me.

UPDATED TO CRITERION CONFESSIONS...

* By Brakhage: An Anthology, Vol. 2, Criterion's second collection of the experimental filmmaker's short films. This one nearly broke me, I'm not going to lie. (Also at DVD Talk.)

* Everlasting Moments, Jan Troell's expansive, touching family epic set in early 20th century Sweden. (Also at DVD Talk.)



THIS WEEK IN DVD REVIEWS...

* Life on Mars - The Complete Collection, the excellent time-travel cop show from England now all in one set.

* Mad About You: The Complete Fourth Season, the Paul Reisher/Helen Hunt television series has a banner year. One of the best of the sitcom format.

* A Single Man, one of my favorite movies of last year, Tom Ford's film is now on DVD.

* Soul of a People, a fascinating Smithsonian Network documentary on the Federal Writers Project and the New Deal. Put me to work, FDR, I'm ready!



Current Soundtrack: Kylie, Aphrodite (streaming at NPR)



e-mail = golightly at confessions123.com * Criterion Confessions * Live Journal Syndication * My Corporate-Owned Space * ComicSpace * Last FM * GoodReads * The Blog Roll [old version] * DVDTalk reviews * My Books On Amazon

All text (c) 2010 Jamie S. Rich

No comments: