A personal diary keeping people abreast of what I am working on writing-wise.

Thursday, August 23, 2012

SO HE BEGINS TO LIE

NEW IN THEATRES...



* 2 Days in New York, the new one from Julie Delpy. Really, if I were Chris Rock, I'd have tapped out after 12 hours.

* Celeste and Jesse Forever, an almost-there down-to-earth rom-com, co-written by and starring Rashida Jones. I love her, but the script loses focus and eventually lost me.

Though, to be fair, it all may be a matter of perspective. All the male critics at my screening left shrugging and saying, "I dunno," while the lone lady in our audience, Marjorie Skinner, said, "I kind of liked it." Read her review, too, for some balance. There's good points in it,

* The Imposter, a twisted true crime documentary about a story that's so out there, you almost won't believe it.

UPDATED TO CRITERION CONFESSIONS...

* La promesse, the breakthrough film from Luc and Jean-Pierre Dardenne. (Also at DVD Talk.)

THIS WEEK IN BD/DVD REVIEWS...

* The Devil's Needle, and other Tales of Vice and Redemption, three silent films tackling the worst of Amercia's sins, ca. 1915.

* Monsieur Lazhar, a surprising example of quality feel-good cinema, adding a nice spin to the inspirational teacher genre.

* Les Vampires, the 1915 silent crime serial from Louis Feuillade.



Current Soundtrack: Bloc Party, Four; 2 Chainz, Based on a T.R.U. Story; various Mary Onettes



e-mail = golightly at confessions123.com * Midi-Confessions123 * Criterion Confessions * Last FM * GoodReads * The Blog Roll [old version] * DVDTalk reviews * My Books On Amazon

All text (c) 2012 Jamie S. Rich

No comments: