NEW IN THEATRES...
* The Art of the Steal, a documentary about Philadelphia's appropriation of the legendary Barnes Foundation and its art collection.
Opens in Portland this weekend at Cinema 21. Also, for those interested, Terribly Happy is coming to the Living Room, and Police, Adjective is coming to the Hollywood. I reviewed both films together here.
* Green Zone, the new one from the Bourne guys goes heavy on the action and the politics.
UPDATED TO CRITERION CONFESSIONS...
* Shock Corridor, Sam Fuller's nutso nuthouse pic', another film that blends art and politics. It also inspired Scorsese and Shutter Island, a movie that is even better the second time.
THIS WEEK IN DVD REVIEWS...
Two documentaries about moviemakers.
* The Beaches of Agnes, the enchanting self-portrait by the first lady of the New Wave, Agnes Varda.
* The Brothers Warner, a mild profile of the guys who started the famous studio that bears their name.
Current Soundtrack: Lily Allen, F.U. EP, some Radiolab ("Proof" from 8/10/09)