A personal diary keeping people abreast of what I am working on writing-wise.

Monday, September 12, 2005

NOW THE WORKERS HAVE STRUCK FOR FAME

A nice surprise showed up in my inbox today, courtesy Eric Searleman: Bookslut has put Cut My Hair on their list of Rock Novels ones should read. A snippet:

"It's beloved by those lucky enough to have heard about it; the Willamette Week called it 'a lyrical elegy to lost youth, the death of modern rock, and the search for something authentic.' Very highly recommended."

I prepared two agent queries today and have printed out candidates for my reading selections for Wednesday (also plugged yesterday by Mason West on the OregonLive.com blog for Northwest Portland). I Was Someone Dead will certainly be on tap, but there is a good chance you will hear a little bit of The Everlasting, too. The morning's accomplisments are all an impressive effort when you consider that these old bones were up past 3 a.m. last night, after a meeting with the new 12 Reasons Why I Love Her artist turned to drink and karaoke. I will tell you that performing a song I know as well as Morrissey's "The More You Ignore Me The Closer I Get" is a lot harder than I'd have thought, as I couldn't divorce the harsh tones I heard in the monitors from the Mozztonic warble I heard in my head. I fared better on "I'm a Boy," but my partner put everyone in the dirt with a gutsy take on Bowie's "Life on Mars?" For that we'd have to adore her, even if her initial sketches of Gwen and Evan weren't the cat's pyjamas. All that's left is to arrange a meeting between her and Oni and she'll make an honest writer out of me.

Current Soundtrack: Franz Ferdinand, You Could Have It So Much Better With...

Current Mood: goofy

golightly@confessions123.com * The Website * Live Journal Syndication



[to leave comments, click on the time-stamp below, then scroll down on the new page] – All text (c) 2005 Jamie S. Rich

1 comment:

david golbitz said...

Reading this post reminded me that I've been meaning to e-mail you and tell you how much I enjoyed I Was Someone Dead, even though I'm not entirely sure I understood all of it.

It's certainly quite a bit more dense and complex than, say, Cut My Hair, or, at least, it seemed that way to me, and I just may not be all that bright.

I mean, the story is straight-forward enough, but, you know, the Thing, and Hieronymous's mental state...

I'm planning on reading it again, preferrably in one day, once this semester is over and I can devote some serious brain power to it.

But still, liked it. Liked it very much.