NEW IN THEATRES...
* All Good Things, a true-ish crime story that is fine despite its distanced point of view.
* The Green Hornet, the odd pairing of Michel Gondry and Seth Rogen gives us too much and yet not enough.
UPDATED TO CRITERION CONFESSIONS...
* Army of Shadows, a second pass at the Jean-Pierre Melville spy story via the new Blu-Ray. (Also at DVD Talk.)
* Kagemusha, Akira Kurosawa's "Prince and the Pauper" historical epic. Since it's playing at Cinema 21 here in Portland this week, I also did a shorter review for the Portland Mercury.
* The Night of the Hunter, the evil preacher as Disney villain, utilizing a theory advanced by Scott Morse--who just got his own Criterion Top 10.
* When a Woman Ascends the Stairs: Japanese actress Hideko Takamine passed away recently, making it a good time to watch one of her most famous roles.
THIS WEEK IN DVD/BD REVIEWS...
* Backdraft, examining my past enjoyment of Ron Howard movies by watching the BD of the movie that started it all going wrong.
* Denis Leary & Friends Present: Douchebags & Donuts, a charity concert that underperforms.
* Generator Rex, vol. 1, the first 9 episode of this fun boy-centric adventure series.
Current Soundtrack: Ricky Gervais on Ellen; Top Chef on On Demand
e-mail = golightly at confessions123.com * Criterion Confessions * Live Journal Syndication * My Corporate-Owned Space * ComicSpace * Last FM * GoodReads * The Blog Roll [old version] * DVDTalk reviews * My Books On Amazon
All text (c) 2011 Jamie S. Rich