A personal diary keeping people abreast of what I am working on writing-wise.

Monday, June 04, 2012

NEW INTERVIEW; PREORDER IT GIRL AND THE ATOMICS #1

Last week, the Diamond Previews catalogue featuring the first issue of It Girl and the Atomics was released. That means preorders on this book begin...now!

If you want to read this comic, your best bet is to let your regular shop know. Tell them to order a copy, and maybe encourage them to order some more for the shelves. You heard the book was pretty cool and they might want to be on the ground floor. Right? :)

It Girl & the Atomics #1
story JAMIE S. RICH art MIKE NORTON cover MIKE & LAURA ALLRED 
Fresh from the pages of Mike Allred's MADMAN: Snap City's favorite heroine is ready for her own crimefighting adventures! With the Atomics boys in outer space, it's up to It Girl to keep the streets safe. Easier said than done: The Skunk, the man who murdered her sister, is out of jail and back to old tricks. Meanwhile, Dr. Flem has a brand new space-time experiment and wants It Girl to be his guinea pig! 


Diamond Order Code: JUN120428 

If you are reading this and work for a store or are a member of the press and want an interview and/or preview materials, please contact me directly at golightly[a]gmail[dot]com and we can set stuff up.




I also did an interview about the book at Westfield Comics. You can read the whole thing here, but here is an excerpt:

Westfield: What appeals to you about It Girl and the other characters in the book?
Rich: For me, the general tone of The Atomics series, and a lot of the Madman stuff, has always been a very unpretentious take on the superhero comics I grew up with. As a child of the 80s, I read a lot of the Silver Age material prior to grim and gritty elements that worked their way into it. I was around for that as well and buying Dark Knight and Watchmen and all of that. One thing Mike Norton and I discovered working on this book is both of our reference points seem to go right back to those old John Byrne Fantastic Fours and X-Men and Alpha Flight. For me, the Allred comics have captured that same kind of fun without being wholly nostalgic. They seem very present and not just trying to relive some kind of past perception. I’m trying to stick with that. For me with It Girl, I felt that throughout the series – especially in the original Atomics series – that she was a character who was discovering herself and who was finding a new path in the world and learning to be a hero. For this first series that’s where I began, at that point where she has to say “I’m going to take this seriously. I’m going to be a crimefighter.” That leads to all sorts of scenarios and the world’s open wide for us to play with a lot of different tropes and ideas that we love as readers.

Current Soundtrack: Ian McCulloch, Candleland and various solo cuts

No comments: