A personal diary keeping people abreast of what I am working on writing-wise.

Thursday, April 10, 2008

SO NICE, SO SMART



THIS WEEK IN THEATRES...

* Smart People, a well-acted, mostly charming comedy that does have the problem of not being as smart as its material demands. Noah Baumbach should have done script rewrites.

THIS WEEK IN DVD REVIEWS...

* 27 Dresses, effectively ending feminism in America and making me glad for the first time in my life that I have a penis. Why, Katherine Heigl, why?

* Before the Devil Knows You're Dead. I know at least one Confessor will disagree with me, but I found this intricate crime tale to be riveting from front to back, with a stand-out cast and exciting direction.

* The Cats of Mirikitani, a heart-warming documentary about a Japanese American artist who survived the internment camps of WWII to end up homeless in NY, and how he reconciled all that.

UPDATED TO CRITERION CONFESSIONS...

This week's review written specifically for the site is:

* La Pointe Courte, the lead film of the 4 X Agnès Varda boxed set provides a link between Italian Neorealism and the French New Wave in a tale of a married couple looking for their lost passion at a remote fishing village.

Of everything I watched this week, however, this annoyed me more than anything else:



So, I can understand the economic sense of not hefting the cost of making pennies any further, but this dink says the more important thing we can save is time? Because we lose 2 1/2 seconds at the store? I'm sorry, but if this guy has time to worry about this and make it his life's work, I'm not sure his schedule is overtaxed enough to warrant the concern. Imagine what he could do with that brain of his is he had 2 1/2 more seconds to think of unnecessary campaigns to spearhead!

Current Soundtrack: McAlmont & Butler, "Yes;" Girls Aloud, "Crazy Fool;" the Long Blondes, "Giddy Stratospheres;" and "Jeopardy" on the TV

Current Mood: irritated

e-mail = golightly at confessions123.com * Criterion Confessions * Live Journal Syndication * My Corporate-Owned Space * ComicSpace * Last FM * GoodReads * The Blog Roll * DVDTalk reviews * My Books On Amazon

All text (c) 2008 Jamie S. Rich

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Riveting? Exciting direction? Oh man, do we have some talking to do the next time we see each other!!!

Santiago said...

Hey Jamie, have you seen yet Priceless (the new Audrey Tatou movie)?

I would love to hear what you have to say about it.

Jamie S. Rich said...

They've not yet screened Priceless for us, but I'll go if the invite comes. Not sure when it's due to open, though I picked up a postcard for it at the theatre when I saw Smart People. It's currently one of my bookmarks.

Santiago said...

I really think Priceless is the kind of movie you might enjoy. They're already showing it in San Francisco, I thought it has already opened nationwide... my mistake!