THIS WEEK IN THEATRES...
* Cathedral Park, a romantic indie from Portland currently doing the festival circuit.
* What Just Happened, a Hollywood tell-all that tells nothing, despite some good work from Robert DeNiro. Based on a book by Art Linson, the story has been defanged beyond recognition.
UPDATED TO CRITERION CONFESSIONS...
I'm keeping on with my goal of one horror movie a week until Halloween.
* Corridors of Blood, another Boris Karloff thriller, this time with the big guy as a doctor trying to invent laughing gas but with no one to experiment on but himself!
* Jigoku, a 1960 Japanese film that opens the gates of Hell and shows you what's inside.
THIS WEEK IN DVD REVIEWS...
* Chaplin: 15th Anniversary Edition, the flawed biopic stays memorable thanks to Robert Downey, Jr.
* Flight of the Red Balloon, wherein one of my favorite contemporary filmmakers, Hou Hsiao Hsien, pays tribute to one of my favorite children's films.
* Sunshine Superman: The Journey of Donovan, an overlong documentary about the '60s singer that starts strong but finishes long after it should have stopped running.
Current Soundtrack: ABBA, William Bell, Baby Washington, Elvis Costello & the Attractions, Ian Brown, Nick Cave & Warren Ellis, Brett Anderson...plus Marvin Gaye & the Moonglows each doing versions of "(I'm Afraid) The Masquerade is Over"
e-mail = golightly at confessions123.com * Criterion Confessions * Live Journal Syndication * My Corporate-Owned Space * ComicSpace * Last FM * GoodReads * The Blog Roll * DVDTalk reviews * My Books On Amazon
All text (c) 2008 Jamie S. Rich