A personal diary keeping people abreast of what I am working on writing-wise.

Sunday, April 12, 2009

GETTING IN TUNE

The return of Karaoke Watch!

Last night, my friend Ayrica had a birthday gathering at a place called Lucky's, an out-of-the-way bar that advertises the most complete karaoke book in Portland. Shockingly, this is truth in advertising, as after a warm-up on "Town Without Pity," I got to sing four songs I've never been able to find anywhere else:

Suede - "Beautiful Ones"
The Rolling Stones - "Out of Time"
The Walker Bros. - "The Sun Ain't Gonna Shine Anymore"
Unit 4 Plus 2 - "Concrete & Clay"

I thought Suede would be a disaster, the vocal shadow of Brett Anderson too heavy to get out from under, but I managed to find a decent range to sing it in that worked for me. I also managed to stick with the Stones even though the moment I opened my mouth, a button popped off my suit coat and went flying across the room! I spent the first verse or so alternating between checking the lyrics screen and looking over the floor for it. A combination of too many potstickers and an inflated ego is my guess for what caused it.

"Concrete& Clay" went off the rails some, but only because it was late and I was deep in my downward spiral as a lecherous maniac. You know how I do.

Current Soundtrack: The Who, Who's Next: Deluxe Edition

1 comment:

Matt Strawbridge said...

Lecherous as you do?

Hahaha