A personal diary keeping people abreast of what I am working on writing-wise.

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

THE BOOK

At long last, This Is A Souvenir: The Songs Of Spearmint & Shirley Lee is going on sale this Thursday.

You can check out a preview here, though this advance look features neither of my two stories: "Julie Christie!" as drawn by Natalie Nourigat, and "The First Time You Saw Snow," which was brought to life by Kelley Seda.

The preview does, however, have five pages of Chynna Clugston's adaptation of "Left Alone Among the Living." Though, if I were you, I'd wait to see it printed at the big 12X12 size, because the art is awesome. Here is an unlettered page:



I know some people are a bit scared of the book because they don't know Spearmint's music, but that's kind of like not watching a movie because you've never read the novel it's based on. If the job was done well, prior knowledge will not matter. We were under strict orders to make stories and not just reprint the lyrics with pictures, the intention is to have slices of comics that stand alone. I hadn't even heard "Snow" before the story was done, it was on Shirley Lee's solo record, not yet released at the time; I worked off a lyric sheet. Really, though the band is totally worth checking out, you might be better off not knowing the music well, as you won't have any conflicting interpretations in your head.

Regardless, be adventurous.

For more on Shirley Lee, check out his website.

And check out Chynna's auction for her cover to Punk Rock Holocaust.

Current Soundtrack: Asobi Seksu, Hush

e-mail = golightly at confessions123.com * Criterion Confessions * Live Journal Syndication * My Corporate-Owned Space * ComicSpace * Last FM * GoodReads * The Blog Roll * DVDTalk reviews * My Books On Amazon

All text (c) 2009 Jamie S. Rich

2 comments:

Chynna Clugston Flores said...

Aw thanks, you! (There's actually 7 pages, so they *almost* posted all of them... but happily they left out my favorite!)

Jamie S. Rich said...

Oops. I'll fix that!