A personal diary keeping people abreast of what I am working on writing-wise.

Wednesday, September 02, 2009

HEY, HEY, ZOMBIE MAN

Guy Davis dropped me an e-mail to let me know that he sent a couple of pages from our story from The Dark Horse Book Of The Dead for the gallery show going up tomorrow at Floating World Comics. Though the show will mainly be pages from The Marquis and B.P.R.D., the zombie that emerges at the end of "Kago no Tori" fits in there pretty well.

I am not sure which pages he sent, but out of my files, I chose page 8 to post here. Funnily enough, I don't have jpegs of the inks, so I only have the pencils and Dave Stewart's colors, so if you go down to Floating World after reading this, you can see the stage in between these two.





One page you won't see is the 4th, because that's hanging in my bedroom.



I can state from experience that seeing Guy's originals are a true wonder. His meticulous inking, his hand-laid zipatone, there's very little to compare. I was actually an editor on Oni's early Marquis comics, and much to my eternal professional regret, I let my ego get the better of me and removed my credit in a huff. I felt locked out of the process, and instead of adapting to the situation like I normally did, for whatever reason, I decided to draw a line in the sand. Stupid, really, and barely worth explaining. As a result, the history of Guy's very cool comic will likely be told without me...but you know, I did it to myself. Sometimes screwing up is the only way to learn.

Don't do the same to yourself! Don't regret not going and seeing this show!



Current Soundtrack: Pete Yorn & Scarlett Johansson, "Someday;" Catsanovas, "Flight Stewardess/I Want to Be Loved;" Bob Dylan, "Blowin' in the Wind;" Primal Scream, "Zombie Man;" The Warlocks, "Zombie Like Lovers"

1 comment:

Jed Alexander said...

I love Guy Davis! Thanks for sharing this stuff. Another amazing thing about Guy's work is how spare the pencils are. Most of the drawing happens directly in the inks.