A personal diary keeping people abreast of what I am working on writing-wise.

Sunday, January 03, 2010

TOMORROW, AND WHAT MUST COME BEFORE...

A couple of links today.

* First, as part of a Robot 6 survey, I pick my most anticipated book of 2010 and show off three new pages from Spell Checkers Volume 1.

Click the image to read the article.



Robot 6 also gives a shout-out to Joëlle's book Token at the top of their weekly "What Are You Reading?" column.

* Second, the fourth installment of "Talking Out of Frame," my collection of art house DVD reviews posted to DVD Talk in the last month, is now live. Read it here.

While you're in the movie mood, also check out Jason Bailey's picks for "The Best Films of the Decade." Since Jason and A.O. Scott both picked it for their selections from the last ten years, I finally watched 25th Hour last night, and it was amazing. Much more than I thought it was at the time it came out, and I'm sorry I missed it back in 2003. Sometimes I feel like you can see right through an Edward Norton performance, we can see the actor making his choices and getting out in front of the work, that is not at all the case in this movie. Plus, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Anna Paquin, Rosario Dawson, and Barry Pepper in really great roles, with Spike Lee's towering visual sense giving the whole thing a great energy. His surprising touches add to the feeling and mood of the story, aiding the telling in ways that are beyond just showing off. His hand is steady, the narrative touch is masterful.

Current Soundtrack: Patti Smith, Horses

No comments: