CAN I STEAL A LITTLE LOVE?
THIS WEEK IN DVD REVIEWS...
* The Chocolate War, one of my favorite coming-of-age tales ever (I think I need to read the book again)
* Dreamgirls, last year's excellent musical gets even better on DVD
* Four Eyed Monsters, a pretentious film about a shallow internet relationship becoming a shallow real-life relationship
* Thieves Like Us, an excellent Robert Altman film from the mid-'70s following Depression-era bank robbers on their crime spree
* The Troube With Men & Women, anothjer indie yawner about couples that trades style and poses for real insight
It's always weird reviewing relationship movies. It makes my own anxieties about my work bubble up inside me. I can't help but wonder if my books are just as tepid as the films I'm criticizing. You know how people are so good about pointing out the flaws in others that are most pronounced in themselves. I am pretty proud of my performance on 12 Reasons Why I Love Her, The Everlasting, and the othes, though, so I remain confident that this is not true. I just want to point out that I'm aware of the possible contradiction. If nothing else, it keeps me honest.
Current Soundtrack: Patti Smith, Twelve
Current Mood: working
All text (c) 2007 Jamie S. Rich