A personal diary keeping people abreast of what I am working on writing-wise.

Friday, April 13, 2007

TIME IS JUST THE SAME

THIS WEEK AT THE THEATRE...

* Red Road, a restrained British mystery

THIS WEEK IN DVD REVIEWS...

* Addiction, an overly complicated but interesting look at substance abuse from HBO

* Brute Force - Criterion Collection, in which Jules Dassin puts Burt Lancaster in prison with extraordinary results

* Children of Men, my chance to revisit one of the best films of 2006

* Overlord - Criterion Collection, Stuart Cooper's fascinating look inside the mind of a soldier heading for D-Day, mixing real footage and fictional filmmaking



And by way of another tribute to Kurt Vonnegut, a pertinent except from my book, The Everlasting:

I want to live in a world where time is at my disposal. Vonnegut-time. Moments linked on one long chain that I can retract or let loose as I see fit.

I envision a time-space where I can reach out, and by simply stabbing my fingers into it, the whole fabric of it ripples. Years melt away, bubbling like Caro syrup boiling in a pot. Once I’ve burned off the offending minutes, I can stick a wedge in and keep the bad things from ever occurring, stop time at the good parts. Kelley would never have broken up with me, Mandy wouldn’t marry Ken. I’d jump into Percy’s life and stop Iris from ever running that bath. I’d never stop being fifteen and the ability to feel would never slink through my grasp. I could always love in the purest sense of loving.

Current Soundtrack: Grinderman, Grinderman

Current Mood: hungry

e-mail = golightly at confessions123.com * The Website * Live Journal Syndication * My Corporate-Owned Space * ComicSpace * The Blog Roll * DVDTalk reviews * My Books On Amazon

All text (c) 2007 Jamie S. Rich

No comments: