A personal diary keeping people abreast of what I am working on writing-wise.

Wednesday, November 05, 2008

...AND THE AMERICAN WAY



Congratulations, sir. I'm ready to see what you can do.

There was a real sense of accomplishment in the air tonight, a feeling of big things happening. Within seconds of hearing that John McCain had called Barack Obama to concede, I heard fire crackers going off in my neighborhood. Walking to my friend's, I heard people wooping it up in their homes.

Amusingly, on the way to that friend's, I stopped at the local minimart to get some champagne. An older man who was there with his son buying Pop Tarts and Sprite looked at me and said, "Celebrating, eh?"

"Yes," I replied, smiling.

"Well, the proof will be in the pudding."

I just looked at him, likely with that look my cat gives me most of the time, that blank "What is wrong with you?" look. Sadly, my comeback came about a block away from the store.

"Yes, and too bad yours is already so bitter."

No one expects a magic solution, and I think both candidates acknowledged that tonight. I thought McCain's speech was classy and eloquent, and Obama's acceptance of the victory humble and inspiring. It only could have been better had they played Johnny Nash's "I Can See Clearly Now."

2 comments:

Natalie Nourigat said...

WANT:
http://www.instablogsimages.com/images/2008/08/27/stylinonline_2017_199542751_6NrG6_17620.jpg

Sarah Grace McCandless said...

Most of my sassy comebacks don't hit me until a good week or so later, so I applaud yours manifesting just a block away (and a perfect comeback at that too).

Thank you again for your support and involvement in the auction and with Comics Industry for Obama. Eric and I were texting the night of the election and agreed that it felt great to have done SOMETHING, even if it was just a little dent, vs. sitting there and wondering why we didn't do anything on the chance that McCain took home the win that night - thank goodness he didn't. What an amazing night.