A personal diary keeping people abreast of what I am working on writing-wise.

Friday, November 07, 2008

OH, WHAT A NIGHT

Last night the reading went really well. It looked dicey there for a couple of minutes because my data was not working with the laptops on hand, but since I had brought the raw files with me, we just skipped the Powerpoint file and ran it like a slide show. Not as pretty or smooth, and lacking the ringside bell sound effect I had, but I was going to be damned if two hours of separating each panel into an individual file was going to go to waste.

The gallery had a huge blow-up of the You Have Killed Me cover printed on canvas, and it looked amazing. I think it's something that people are placing bids on to buy, we weren't really clear, but Joëlle and I would have gladly taken it home. I met Jesse Reklaw and Andrice Arp for the first time, and Jesse's Slow Wave reading was really funny. Shannon Wheeler also read, getting the crowd to do his sound effects live for him.

Thanks to all who came out, but special thanks go to Dani and Leslie. Over at Leslie's blog, she has a report of the night and a scan of the last page of 12 Reasons Why I Love Her, now signed for her and featuring an alternate ending written on the spot.



Gwen: "He ain't gettin' any ever."
Evan: "I'm totally getting some tonight."

After the showing, my old editor from DVD Talk, Geoff Kleinman, gave us the scoop on a media-only party being held at Voicebox, a new bar in Northwest Portland that has private karaoke rooms! Geoff wrote it up for his new Portland-based blog, OnPDX, and he even has a slideshow. Check it out. The first photo is of me serenading our awesome waitress, "Delilah," singing Tom Jones, of course.

The night is kind of a blur, since the karaoke and the sake were free for the evening. As soon as we walked in, I noticed these big paintings on the walls, and I said, "Gosh, that looks like the Pander Bros. artwork." Sure enough, there were Arnold and Jacob sitting at the bar. They joined us in the large room with Geoff, David Walker, and others and we drank and sang to our heart's content.

Our song choices...

Jamie
Christina Aguilera - "Beautiful"
Gene Pitney - "A Town Without Pity"
Engelbert Humperdick - "A Man Without Love"
Neil Diamond - "Love on the Rocks"
Otis Redding - "Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa (Sad Song)" - a disaster!
Def Leppard - "Pour Some Sugar On Me"
Frank & Nancy Sinatra - "Something Stupid" - a duet with Jacob Pander's girlfriend, whose name I forget
Tom Jones - "Delilah"

Joëlle
Wham - "Careless Whisper"
4 Non Blondes - "What's Up?"
Sinead O'Connor - "Nothing Compares 2 U"
The Beatles = "All My Loving"
The Human League - "Don't You Want Me" (duet with Arnold Pander)

Geoff
Crazytown - "Butterfly" - to his credit, this was not the song he picked, it was a computer gltich, yet he did it anyway
Green Day - "Basket Case"
Weezer - "Hashpipe"
Avril Lavigne - "Sk8r Boi"
Nirvana - "Smells Like Teen Spirit"

David Walker
Bonnie Tyler - "Total Eclipse of the Heart"
Modern English - "Melt With You"
Charlie Daniels Band - "Devil Went Down to Georgia"

Arnold Paner
David Bowie - "Let's Dance"
Elton John - "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road"
Queen - "Crazy Little Thing Called Love"

Jacob Pander
Lou Reed - "Walk on the Wild Side"

I think there was more, but my memory fails me. Good times, though, good times. We will definitely be returning.

Current Soundtrack: The Kinks, Lola Versus Powerman And The Moneygoround, Part One



e-mail = golightly at confessions123.com * Criterion Confessions * Live Journal Syndication * My Corporate-Owned Space * ComicSpace * Last FM * GoodReads * The Blog Roll * DVDTalk reviews * My Books On Amazon

All text (c) 2008 Jamie S. Rich

1 comment:

Drink Spirits said...

How cool is it to have someone keep a running tab of what songs were sung by whom!

Good times indeed.

We'll have to do it again sometime soon.