It's time to catch up on my movie reviews. Some good stuff heading into the Thanksgiving weekend...
NEW IN THEATRES...
* Fantastic Mr. Fox, the awesome realization of Wes Anderson's childhood.
* Precious: Based on the Novel 'Push' by Sapphire, a melodrama that gets by on the strength of its acting, but the script's contrivances aren't quite up to the hype. I actually really liked Alison Hallett's review at the Mercury. You should read it.
* The Road, John Hillcoat's adaptation of Cormac McCarthy.
UPDATED TO CRITERION CONFESSIONS...
Ooops...I've been forgetting about this section.
* The Friends of Eddie Coyle, a 1970s crime picture with Robert Mitchum.
* Gomorrah, the electrifying, complex portrait of Mafia society centered around an Italian slum.
* The Hit, Stephen Frears' chilly road picture with Terence Stamp as a criminal condemned.
* Mayerling - Essential Art House, Anatole Litvak's 1936 costume drama based on a real-life murder/suicide.
THIS WEEK IN DVD REVIEWS...
* The Barbara Stanwyck Show, vol. 1, an unearthed television show starring the great actress. A little disappointing, but worth a look.
* Funny People, the Judd Apatow drama was lost this summer, but proves an excellent DVD.
* Gilda Live!, Gilda Radner's live show from 1980.
* It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - A Very Sunny Christmas, a new special from the gang at Paddy's Pub.
* Lemon Tree, an effective Israeli drama about one woman's fight to protect her heritage.
* The Limits of Control, Jim Jarmusch's latest, a challenging and misunderstood journey through the artistic process.
* Margaret Cho: Beautiful, the latest stand-up concert from one of my favorite comedian's is too inside baseball even for me. I actually think Jason Bailey's review of this does a much better job of getting at what's wrong with it than mine.
* Toi & Moi, a romantic comedy starring Marion Cotillard that fails to generate any heat.
* However, there is plenty of sizzle in the kitchen on Top Chef: New York.
Current Soundtrack: The Muppet Show record album; Morrissey, Swords
e-mail = golightly at confessions123.com * Criterion Confessions * Live Journal Syndication * My Corporate-Owned Space * ComicSpace * Last FM * GoodReads * The Blog Roll [old version] * DVDTalk reviews * My Books On Amazon
All text (c) 2009 Jamie S. Rich