A personal diary keeping people abreast of what I am working on writing-wise.

Tuesday, November 24, 2009

HUGGA WUGGA

It's time to catch up on my movie reviews. Some good stuff heading into the Thanksgiving weekend...



NEW IN THEATRES...

* Fantastic Mr. Fox, the awesome realization of Wes Anderson's childhood.

* Precious: Based on the Novel 'Push' by Sapphire, a melodrama that gets by on the strength of its acting, but the script's contrivances aren't quite up to the hype. I actually really liked Alison Hallett's review at the Mercury. You should read it.

* The Road, John Hillcoat's adaptation of Cormac McCarthy.

UPDATED TO CRITERION CONFESSIONS...

Ooops...I've been forgetting about this section.

* The Friends of Eddie Coyle, a 1970s crime picture with Robert Mitchum.

* Gomorrah, the electrifying, complex portrait of Mafia society centered around an Italian slum.

* The Hit, Stephen Frears' chilly road picture with Terence Stamp as a criminal condemned.

* Mayerling - Essential Art House, Anatole Litvak's 1936 costume drama based on a real-life murder/suicide.



THIS WEEK IN DVD REVIEWS...

* The Barbara Stanwyck Show, vol. 1, an unearthed television show starring the great actress. A little disappointing, but worth a look.

* Funny People, the Judd Apatow drama was lost this summer, but proves an excellent DVD.

* Gilda Live!, Gilda Radner's live show from 1980.

* It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - A Very Sunny Christmas, a new special from the gang at Paddy's Pub.

* Lemon Tree, an effective Israeli drama about one woman's fight to protect her heritage.

* The Limits of Control, Jim Jarmusch's latest, a challenging and misunderstood journey through the artistic process.

* Margaret Cho: Beautiful, the latest stand-up concert from one of my favorite comedian's is too inside baseball even for me. I actually think Jason Bailey's review of this does a much better job of getting at what's wrong with it than mine.

* Toi & Moi, a romantic comedy starring Marion Cotillard that fails to generate any heat.

* However, there is plenty of sizzle in the kitchen on Top Chef: New York.



Current Soundtrack: The Muppet Show record album; Morrissey, Swords




e-mail = golightly at confessions123.com * Criterion Confessions * Live Journal Syndication * My Corporate-Owned Space * ComicSpace * Last FM * GoodReads * The Blog Roll [old version] * DVDTalk reviews * My Books On Amazon

All text (c) 2009 Jamie S. Rich

3 comments:

mark coale said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
mark coale said...

I thought Mr Fox was Wes Anderson's best film in years, easily more entertaining than either Darjeeling or Steve Zissou.

Is it wrong that halfway through the movie, I thought, "man, I cannot wait for the Criterion of this movie."

John said...

Looking forward to Mr. Fox. I read The Road and liked kit, but I have my worries about the film adaptation.