A personal diary keeping people abreast of what I am working on writing-wise.

Monday, October 25, 2010

CHAMPAGNE GIRLS I HAVE KNOWN

The excellent Readergirlz blog picked 12 Reasons Why I Love Her as one of their books for October, and so I provided them with a special thank you/intro piece, discussing the rarely disclosed secret origin of the book.

Here is the lead paragraph:

"It all seems so simple now, I can barely believe it. It was a Saturday night, I think in 2003, and I was bored and trying to think of a side project to write during breaks from my second novel, The Everlasting. I am a big fan of good romantic movies, particularly Hollywood classics with Cary Grant or the Katharine Hepburn and Spencer Tracy pairings, and I started to think about the modern equivalent. If it were possible to write a movie like The Apartment or Two for the Road now, how would I do it? I don’t know if I was conscious of the Two for the Road connection at that very moment, but Stanley Donen’s 1966 masterpiece would end up being a real inspiration for what I was about to cook up. In it, Audrey Hepburn and Albert Finney play a married couple who are heading for the rocks, and by criss-crossing several narrative timelines at once, Donen lets us compare and contrast and see how they got from very young love to very old love by drawing ingenious parallels between the jumbled stages of their life together."


Read the rest in the link.

Thanks to Little Willow for including us!

Current Soundtrack: Taylor Swift, new singles: "Back to December/Mean/Speak Now"

4 comments:

Little Willow said...

Thanks for chatting with me!

This morning, I caught part of a Katharine Hepburn movie I hadn't seen before - Venice - but I had to leave to go to work. :)

Lorie Ann Grover said...

I loved, loved, loved your post! I'm off to find 12 Reasons. Thanks so much for participating at rgz. :~)

Jamie S. Rich said...

Venice? Do you maybe mean Summertime?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0048673/

If so, it's worth finishing!

Little Willow said...

Yes, that's the one!