A personal diary keeping people abreast of what I am working on writing-wise.

Sunday, October 17, 2010

DOO-WOPS & HOOLIGANS: MAD MEN SEASON 4 PARTY MIX

Tonight I am attending a party for the season finale of Mad Men, and I was tasked with making a music mix to keep the shindig hoppin'.

I took a two-part approach, as we'll be listening to music before and after the show. The beginning of the mix is made up of songs we heard on the series this season, and the second half is a selection of hits from 1965, the year of season 4. Many were picked for their lyrical relevance to the story, some just because they were cool. I was struck by how many old-style crooners and the like were still landing on the charts back then. We tend to think of the '60s as being all about the classic rock, but forget that not everyone was on board. With bands like the Animals, Zombies, and Kinks, however, we can start to see the shift toward harder-edged music coming.

Most of these songs are available for download from Amazon or iTunes.



Part I

1. RJD2 - "A Beautiful Mine (Theme Music from 'Mad Men')"
2. Nashville Teens - "Tobacco Road"
3. Jan & Dean - "Sidewalk Surfin'"
4. Patti Page - "Old Cape Cod"
5. "Theme from the Man from U.N.C.L.E."
6. Peggy Lee - "I Enjoy Being a Girl"*
7. Skeeter Davis - "Ladder of Success"
8. Simon & Garfunkel - "Bleecker Street"
9. Otis Redding - "Satisfaction"**
10. Petula Clark - "I Know a Place"***
11. The Beatles - "Do You Want to Know a Secret?"****
12. Jim Reeves - "Welcome to My World"
13. Etta James - "Trust in Me"



Part II

14. Jack Jones - "The Race Is On"
15. Ramsey Lewis Trio - "The In Crowd"
16. The Byrds - "Mr. Tambourine Man"
17. The Diamonds - "Silhouettes"*****
18. Herman's Hermits - "(What A) Wonderful World"
19. The Searchers - "Love Potion No. 9"
20. Peter & Gordon - "I Go to Pieces"
21. The Yardbirds - "For Your Love"
22. The Kinks - "Tired of Waiting for You"
23. The Zombies - "Tell Her No"
24. Jackie Deshannon - "Love Will Find a Way"
25. Marvin Gaye - "How Sweet It Is (To Be Loved By You)"
26. The Supremes - "Back in My Arms Again"
27. The Chiffons - "Nobody Knows What's Goin' On"
28. The Beatles - "Eight Days a Week"
29. The Animals - "We Gotta Get Out of this Place [single version]"
30. Gerry & the Pacemakers - "Ferry Cross the Mersey"
31. Tom Jones - "It's Not Unusual"
32. Freddie & the Dreamers - "I'm Telling You Now"
33. Dickey Lee - "Laurie (Strange Things Happen)"
34. Sam Cooke - "Shake"
35. The Toys - "Attack"
36. Unit 4 Plus 2 - "Concrete & Clay"
37. Lesley Gore - "Look of Love"
38. Bobby Vinton - "Mr. Lonely"
39. The Righteous Brothers - "Ebb Tide"
40. Simon & Garfunkel - "The Sound of Silence"
41. The Beach Boys - "Help Me, Rhonda"
42. Len Barry - "One Two Three"
43. Gary Lewis & the Playboys - "Everybody Loves a Clown"
44. The Vogues - "You're the One"
45. Herb Alpert & the Tijuana Brass - "A Taste of Honey"
46. Brenda Lee - "Too Many Rivers"
47. Roy Orbison - "Claudette"
48. Sounds Orchestral = "Cast Your Fate to the Wind"
49. The Crickets - "Now Hear This"
50. The Ivy League - "Tossing and Turning"
51. The Lettermen - "Sincerely"
52. The Ronettes - "He Did It"
53. The Ventures - "Diamond Head"
54. Frank Sinatra - "It Was a Very Good Year"



* The show actually used Doris Day, I believe, but I could not find her version on MP3. Lee's is more jazzy, anyway.
** I substituted Otis for the Rolling Stones because my hostess doesn't care for the Stones. Their original version of this song was one of the top 3 hits of 1965.
*** I am missing a song here. In the same bar where Petula Clark plays, some kind of surf rock tune follows, but I could not identify it or find any place telling me what it was.
**** I could not find an instrumental version to match the one on the credits (there were plenty, none were right), so I went with the vocal version.
***** "Silhouettes" was a charter for Herman's Hermits in 1965, but rather than use two Hermits numbers, I went with an older doo-wop version of the same song.

Current Soundtrack: Bruno Mars, Doo-Wops & Hooligans

No comments: