A personal diary keeping people abreast of what I am working on writing-wise.

Saturday, October 30, 2010

SCARED AS YOU

Is everybody getting ready for their Halloween? I'm practicing some Mr. Mister and Whitesnake songs for Scaraoke tonight. Does that frighten you?

I've been posting real scary songs--or at least ghoulish ones--to SwiftFm. Here is my account. The last five songs, from Warlocks back to Gorillaz, are for Halloween. I post stuff there whenever something gets stuck in my head, or on special occasions like this.

* Robot 6 has dubbed themselves Robot 666 for the week, and they have done a survey of comics pros to ask what comics scare them. In part 2, I am amongst the esteemed company of Ross Campbell and Becky Cloonan, and Ross and I pick the exact same scene from Becky's part of Pixu. Read the whole article here, but this is my blurb:

"The first thing to pop into mind when this subject came up was a fairly recent example. I am a big fan of Pixu by Gabriel Ba, Fabio Moon, Vasilis Lolos, and Becky Cloonan, and I was particularly taken aback when I first read the self-published issues by one of Becky’s sequences. In chapter two, Omar returns home and something feels weird. Claire is acting strange. She made him some soup, and when he sits down to eat it, he notices something gross–a fingernail–in the broth. Then there is another, and another, and one in his mouth. It’s such a simple thing but the way Becky shows it, first by letting us see some nails on his spoon, then one between his fingers, and then finally spitting it out–it’s so visceral, I feel a tickle at the back of my throat just thinking about it. Over a few panels, she effectively creates an unforgettable moment, one that extends beyond the page and causes an honest-to-goodness physical reaction. It creeped me out so much, I had to send Ms. Cloonan an e-mail to thank her for disturbing me. The whole of Pixu is fantastic, but that’s the moment that really nailed it for me–no pun intended!"


* Oh, and hey, Tally has been updating "Between Gears"! And I make an inebriated appearance. Click on the panel of me and Emi (I know, Emi and I) being drunk at Powell's to read the whole entry, and then start catching up on the rest:




Current Soundtrack: Trash Can Sinatras, "I See the Moon" (youtube rip); The Cure, "Scared as You;" Duffy, "Scared"

1 comment:

Maryanne said...

Wouldn't it actually be "me and Emi", because Emi isn't in the sentence it would be "click on the panel of me being drunk"?