A personal diary keeping people abreast of what I am working on writing-wise.

Sunday, July 19, 2009

HEY, YOU! DON'T WATCH THAT! WATCH THIS

This show, called "The Clown," scared the crap out of me when I was a kid. I saw it by happenstance, I think my mother suggest I watch it during an afternoon home because she thought One Step Beyond was a bit like The Twilight Zone, which I watched incessantly. My guess is this series was an attempt to bank off the success of Rod Serling's program; just look at that host stalking through the performance. It started in 1959, a year after television viewers first entered the dimension of the mind.

This episode single-handedly made me hate clowns, and I never watched One Step Beyond again, frightened of what else I might see. I had to be only eight or nine at the time. It was only a couple of years ago that I finally found out what it was I had seen. Despite telling people about this show several times over the years, no one had any inkling of what I was talking about. I was starting to think I had imagined it. Finally, I managed to ask on the right message board a couple of years back, and seeing that the first season of One Step Beyond was being released on DVD soon, I decided to see if "The Clown" was available online.

It's still pretty creepy.







I'm actually kind of surprised by the story now, and how rotten and abusive the husband was. It also makes me think of Paul Pope's Escapo.

No comments: