A personal diary keeping people abreast of what I am working on writing-wise.

Friday, March 10, 2006

AS I SING THE SILENT SONG, MIME EACH LONELY WORD

Karaoke Watch: Tonight the monsters were back. I performed three songs: "Beautiful" once again, though in protest because there was more I wanted to do but I cannot resist a certain someone; Pulp's "Help the Aged;" and Twinkle's "Terry," a '60s "Leader of the Pack" wannabe that may be familiar to some hardcore Morrissey fans. Joëlle's friend Terry Green, who did one of my Audrey drawings, just moved to Portland, so it was for him. Joëlle ruled the evening, though, with Pulp's "Disco 2000," Radiohead's "Creep," and a nerd-baiting runthrough of Bonnie Tyler's "Holding Out For A Hero." I am not sure why I even get up on stage when Joëlle is around. All the skinny ties and red shirts in the world can't mask how much I suck in comparison to her Lauren Bacall in To Have and Have Not persona.

Though, the real performance is if you can watch me walk home while inebriated, air performing whatever is on my iPod. One night, I did the entire album of Here Come the Tears. Tonight, it was Nick Cave, "Scum" and "The Train Song," which I think perfectly sums up why Cave is secretly the man who really speaks for me, going from outlandish and angry to so sensitive and romantic in the space of two songs. "I could not look at him, worm/ He'd be takin' a shower and who should walk in/ He was the epitome of their type/ Her middle name was Welcome, his was Wipe/ Scum! Scum!"


NOTE: We're moving servers this weekend, so some images may be down until Monday, 3/13.

Current Soundtrack: Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds, B-sides & Rarities disc 1


Current Mood: drunk

golightly@confessions123.com * The Website * Live Journal Syndication * The Blog Roll

[to leave comments, click on the time-stamp below, then scroll down on the new page] – All text (c) 2006 Jamie S. Rich

No comments: