A personal diary keeping people abreast of what I am working on writing-wise.

Monday, June 16, 2008

OBJECTS OF MY AFFECTION

Comixfan has posted DC Comics' solicitations for September, and Joëlle Jones' new book, Token, is among them.



TOKEN
Written by Alisa Kwitney
Art and cover by Joëlle Jones

“Alisa Kwitney is my guilty pleasure.” — Neil Gaiman, Hugo Award-winning author of American Gods

Can a Jewish girl out of time and a Spanish old soul survive culture clashes and criminal records to find true love in the sun-drenched, sequined miasma that was South Beach in the 1980s?

Noted comics writer and novelist Alisa Kwitney (Destiny: A Chronicle of Deaths Foretold, Flirting in Cars) and amazing artist Joëlle Jones (12 Reasons Why I Love Her) team up for the ultimate retro romance.

Retailers: See this month’s order form for a special ordering incentive on this title.

Advance-solicited; on sale October 22 • 5.25” x 8” • 176 pg, B&W, $9.99 US

***

Funny, I gave them a companion quote: "Joëlle Jones is so good, why the fuck would I have to feel guilty? You must be dreaming!"

I guess they didn't think it was appropriate to use. Maybe that "dreaming" pun was thought of as being kind of snide toward Mr. Gaiman or something. Who said I'm snide, because I never, I never...?

Anyway, I've seen the art and it's dynamite. Like 12 Reasons but 12 times better. The script is really good, too, so it's going to be a book worth having. Big congrats to Ms. Jones for finishing the principal inking last week!

Current Soundtrack: Paul Weller, 22 Dreams bonus disc

Current Mood: proud of Joëlle

4 comments:

Neil Gaiman said...

Well, the blurb was extracted from a longer blurb I wrote for Alisa for one of her early "chicklit" novels, many years before Token (which I haven't seen). Alas, once you've given a blurb they exist ina sort of a half-life, where phrases from them follow you around until the end of time...

Jamie S. Rich said...

Well, geez, color me embarrassed. I never in a million years would have expected a comment from you, Neil. One must remember that in the age of Google alerts, silly jokes travel fast.

I hope you know I meant no disrespect. I certainly understand the nature of press blurbs and why a writer or publisher would want to keep reviving one of yours. My inability to resist a dumb quip and a Smiths reference bites me on the ass again!

Travis said...

This is almost as awkward as the time I called out Bob Kane in my blog and the next day he showed up at my front door, decked out with a full can of "Bat-Whoop-Ass!" No wait, this is worse...

But in all seriousness, I'm sure everyone in the comics field realizes that you kid in jest, and not to truly be an ass, Jamie.

Jamie S. Rich said...

No, I think they realize that I truly am an ass, and blame it on unintelligent design.

:)