A personal diary keeping people abreast of what I am working on writing-wise.

Monday, August 24, 2009

AND IN THE END, THE COMICS YOU TAKE ARE EQUAL TO THE COMICS YOU MAKE

Over at Mike Allred's message board, we're continuing the Five for Friday topic about cartoonists adapting songs into comic book stories (which I posted about on Sunday). The twist is, only Beatles tunes.



My five:

Side 2 of Abbey Road.

"Polythene Pam" - Jaime Hernandez
"She Came in Through the Bathroom Window" - Paul Pope
"Golden Slumbers - Joëlle Jones
"Carry That Weight" - David Mazuchelli
"The End" - Mike Allred

The stories would be produced in order, each artist starting his following what the previous one did so that they are connected at lest by some kind of thread, no matter how tenuous. Maybe even the first panel of every story is penciled by the previous artist and the next one inks and builds on it.


"Carry that Weight" was hardest, because it's fairly esoteric. Scott Morse was my other choice for it. I think he and Mazzuchelli could do something freeform and inspired. Maybe they could team up!

(And, yes, I know there are more songs on side 2--Abbey Road was my first Beatles record, bought it on vinyl from a used bin while I was in high school, and it's still my favorite. But, I am sticking to five, and those last four tracks are essential.)

Current Soundtrack:

3 comments:

Matt Strawbridge said...

All Revolver!

1 Doctor Robert - The Allreds
2 She Said - Craig Thompson
3 Good Day Sunshine - James Jean
4 Yellow Submarine - Frank Espinosa
5 Got To Get You Into My Life -Jamie and Joelle

GJB said...

How 'bout?

Fool on the Hill
Blue Jay Way
Blackbird
Mean Mr. Mustard/Polythene Pam
I Will

Jamie S. Rich said...

Folks following this link should totally participate here or at the Allred board. Here is a link to that thread:

Songs as Comic Stories

The Beatles ones start midway down. Brian Huberd was the first.