A personal diary keeping people abreast of what I am working on writing-wise.

Thursday, August 27, 2009

JULIA, WE DON'T LIVE IN THE '60S

Not a lot this week. It's been a fallow time for getting assigned movies. I had several days of having nothing in my house to review for DVD Talk, and while I guess I could have jumped on a bunch more Criterions, I took some time to watch stuff just for the fun of it before my schedule went wonky.



IN THEATRES...

* Taking Woodstock, a rare stumble for Ang Lee. I think it's the split-screen that does it to him. People don't like it when he gets all fracturous and fancy.

UPDATED TO CRITERION CONFESSIONS...

* Schizopolis, Steven Soderbergh's deconstructionist comedy. Call it Cinematic Philosophy 101.

THIS WEEK IN DVD REVIEWS...

* Chinese Odyssey 2002, a romantic parody of martial arts films reteaming Chungking Express stars Tony Leung and Faye Wong. It's even produced by Wong Kar-Wai, and director Jeffrey Lau includes lots of subtle digs at the director. Too bad this U.S. disc is edited.



I did get a little mail this week that is funny enough to share. Make sense of it however you will. Youth in decline, or adult illiteracy?

I read your review of 'Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince' and...i liked it alot becous it wasssss all action for kids and for some adults...

Jessica (dolphin_rider_cutie@***.com)


The dolphin must be her familiar.

Current Soundtrack: Leonard Cohen, "Famous Blue Raincoat;" The Specials, "Bright Lights;" Walker Brothers, "After the Lights Go Out;" Rufus Thomas, "The Preacher & the Bear;" Jane Birkin, "Image Fantome - Pavane Pour Une Infante Defunte;" The Ronettes "(The Best Part Of) Breakin' Up"

e-mail = golightly at confessions123.com * Criterion Confessions * Live Journal Syndication * My Corporate-Owned Space * ComicSpace * Last FM * GoodReads * The Blog Roll [old version] * DVDTalk reviews * My Books On Amazon

All text (c) 2009 Jamie S. Rich

No comments: