A personal diary keeping people abreast of what I am working on writing-wise.

Thursday, July 28, 2005

TAKE YOUR CARRIAGE CLOCK AND SHOVE IT

Okay, here was a stupid plan. It's been a rough week work-wise. Starting a new manga series is always tough, as the first volume requires getting your sea legs and sorting out what's going on, who's who, etc. The Japanese reference edition for this book got lost in the mail while I was in San Diego, so I didn't get it until Monday with my deadline being today (extended already to tomorrow). Strike one. Add to that the unbearable heat of this week. Strike two. Add in some computer problems and other crap on the highway of life, and I've been moving slowwwww. That's three, I'm out. Except then I go out last night and I think, "I've only got 40 pages to go. I bet if I do those when I get home, when it's cooler and quieter, I'll tear through them and be ready to get up and proofread in the morning." Because I need to read over this, and I need to read over that 12th Ai Yori Aoshi, too, and I'll turn them all in just in time to play poker with the Oni guys Friday night.

Only, I get home and I start writing and as time goes, I slow down, my head begins to droop...nope, nope, I'm awake. I'm awake! Hey, quick shower. Refresh me. Wake me up. All right. Back to wri--zzzzzz.

So, I go to bed at 3:00 am, meaning I wake up late today (sacrificing my gym time), and am neither raring to go nor where I need to be. Plus, I'm out of creamer for my coffee. Sonofa--

I'm still glad I went out last night. It was "An Evening of Vaudevillian Entertainment and Musical Hijinks!" Three acts played: The Stolen Sweets (vocal jazz from the '20s and '30s; great gig for them, with their sound coming out big in the open room at the Doug Fir; the girls all wore wigs); Heroes & Villains (the nicest thing I can say for them is their ambition exceeded them, leaving the music seeming too quirky for its own good; Lara meant to compliment them by saying, "It's a vaudeville version of Yes," and that was too on the nose for me--I mean, how can that be good?); and Vagabond Opera. They were a lot of fun. Accordion, sax, drums, stand-up bass, cello, and a mustachioed singer doing Tin Pan Alley in, I believe, Yiddish, Russian, Italian, English, and Romanian (?). Special appearances by a tap dancer and a belly dancer. It sounds like it could have been a mess, but it really worked, they had it together. (Sadly, some attractive flapper acrobats between sets did not. Practice, practice, practice, girls!) Though, top marks of the night go either to Lara's red wig (I typed "wed rig" because I am a three year old with a lisp) or the belly dancer's post performance sparkly pink pumps.

What I really want to be doing is writing Have You Seen the Horizon Lately? (yes, the title has made the switch) and starting "Yoga Girls," which I have decided will be serialized on the Lance Scott journal, since it's a Lance story.

Current Soundtrack: The Dandy Warhols leakage; The Concretes, Layyourbattleaxedown

Current Mood: crappy

golightly@confessions123.com * The Website

* Live Journal Syndication

[to leave comments, click on the time-stamp below, then scroll down on the new page] – All text (c) 2005 Jamie S. Rich

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear you had so many difficulties in getting those things together. I'm certainly not an accomplished writer, but I understand how frustrating it can be. I'm sure you'll be able to pull things together though.

Jamie S. Rich said...

Thanks, Claire. It's coming together. I've got both drafts done and have now read them over, so I just have to do the actual corrections and clean-up.