A personal diary keeping people abreast of what I am working on writing-wise.

Friday, April 02, 2010

SOMETIME AROUND MIDNIGHT

Chris Allen over at Trouble with Comics invited me to be a part of their Guest Reviewer Month. There was no mandate, I just had to write about some comics I really liked. I took the opportunity to dig into my back shelves and pull out Howard Chaykin's Time2. As the piece explains, I hadn't read the books since they were released in the mid-80s, and my mind wasn't just blown, the whole back of my head got taken off.

Here's a sample of what I wrote, linking to the full piece:

"...now that I’ve spent a couple of hours getting reacquainted with Time2, all I can say is, “Holy geez god what the — WOW!” I know I strain the boundaries of hyperbole here, but these two books are like some kind of lost masterpiece. How is it that these aren’t constantly being talked about? How is fandom not collectively rattling some cages to get these comics reprinted? More people should know about this! Time2 is truly one of the weirdest, craziest, most gonzo pieces of sci-fi pulp fiction you’re ever going to come across. Howard Chaykin has created a unique and fully realized world. It’s the type of thing that the Europeans get a lot of praise for doing in their books, but only a guy born in Newark, NJ, raised in the latter half of the 20th century on comics and jazz and nutso 1960s dreams of a whacked-out future could have come up with Time2."


Before anyone asks, hell no, I will not loan you my copies!

Here are a couple of images from the books that I found online: that cover I rave about, an example of the amazing lettering prowess of Ken Bruzenak, and an awesome teaser ad.







Current Soundtrack: Janelle Monáe feat. Big Boi, "Tightrope;" The Airborne Toxic Event, "Sometime Around Midnight"

No comments: