A personal diary keeping people abreast of what I am working on writing-wise.

Thursday, February 28, 2013

DEEP & WIDE & TALL

THIS WEEK IN THEATRES...



* Jack the Giant Slayer, the fantasy adventure picture from Bryan Singer never grows into being what it really wants to be. Or so it would seem.

* My Oregonian column covers the Arrow Awards, a compilation of commercials from the UK that won industry accolades, and Koch, a new documentary about the legendary New York mayor, completed just before his death.

THIS WEEK IN BD/DVD REVIEWS...

* The Boogie Man Will Get You, a slapstick flop from 1942, starring Boris Karloff and Peter Lorre, both playing on their image as villains.

* Hello I Must Be Going, an indie starring-vehicle for Melanie Lynskey that is rich with emotion and possessed of a raw honesty.

* The Vertical Ray of the Sun, a lyrical Vietnamese film telling a tale of three sisters, originally released in 2000. Directed by Tran Anh Hung.


Current Soundtrack: John Wesley Harding, Pieces of the Past EP ("name your price download" here); Puscifer, Donkey Punch the Night



e-mail = golightly at confessions123.com * Midi-Confessions123 * Criterion Confessions * Last FM * GoodReads * The Blog Roll [old version] * DVDTalk reviews * My Books On Amazon

All text (c) 2013 Jamie S. Rich

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mate,

Just a quick correction to your DVDTalk review of 'Hello I Must Be Going': Melanie Lynsky is not an Australian, she is a New Zealander.

The difference between the two is like calling a Canadian an American or vice versa. Easy mistake to make, but it sure does piss them off.

Cheers,
Bruce from Down Under

Jamie S. Rich said...

Thanks for the heads up. I shouldn't have trusted my ear, I should have looked it up. My bad. It's fixed now. :)