A personal diary keeping people abreast of what I am working on writing-wise.

Friday, October 19, 2007

SEDUCTIVE, PRODUCTIVE



THIS WEEK IN THEATRES...

* My Kid Could Paint That, an excellent documentary about a child painter that raises questions about what qualifies as art, who gets to judge, and whether or not the whole thing is a scam, anyway.

THIS WEEK IN DVD REVIEWS...

* Black Sheep, a ridiculous but fun horror comedy from New Zealand. It's about marauding vampire sheep, so it's hard to lose with a concept like that. Just wish it had been a little funnier, maybe a little scarier. Something.

* Breathless - Criterion Collection, a fantastic new two-DVD set of Jean-Luc Godard's groundbreaking debut.

* Carlos Saura's Flamenco Trilogy - Eclipse Series 6, collecting the Spanish director's triptych exploring dance and the way it's performed, both in fictional and non-fictional shells.

* Days of Heaven - Criterion Collection, Terrence Malick's truly remarkable potboiler poetry on a disc worthy of its magnificent reputation.

* Entourage - Season Three, Part 2, the conclusion to the show's extended outing puts the series back on track with a solid clutch of episodes.

* October Road - The Complete First Season, an abysmal pilot about a novelist returning to the hometown he savaged in his fiction somehow turns into a series I ended up liking in spite of myself. What the hell--?!

And just to prove that not all the mail I get is mean and spiteful, I got a nice letter from a reader last week:

I read your review of 'Elizabeth: The Golden Age' and...

Thank you! I cannot believe the mediocre reviews this film is getting from the majority of the critics. I actually went in thinking it might not be that great, but it was. And then some. I absolutely loved it. And not just because I'm a huge fan of the original. Like you said, it truly felt like the original. I'm no film snob, I like and will watch anything. But this film was amazing IMO. I applaud your review.

- Rob


Not everyone thinks I'm a moron, as it turns out. Though give Rob time. He'll come around.

Current Soundtrack: My Life Story, b-sides to "It's a Girl Thing" and "Empire Line"

Current Mood: apathetic

e-mail = golightly at confessions123.com * The Website * Live Journal Syndication * My Corporate-Owned Space * ComicSpace * Last FM * GoodReads * The Blog Roll * DVDTalk reviews * My Books On Amazon

All text (c) 2007 Jamie S. Rich

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Really looking forward to "Paint That.."

How great is it to be inundated with such a deluge of films after so long of a drought.

Get the Transformers DVD yet? ;)