A personal diary keeping people abreast of what I am working on writing-wise.

Friday, October 12, 2007

WE'LL MAKE A MOVIE, THE DARLING OF CINEMA

Hey, comics fans! Marc Ellerby is going to be at the comic book convention in Birmingham tomorrow, October 13. Go visit him. Bring him bags of gooey Swedish fish candy and ask him how his wrist is doing. I think he'll also have the Love the Way You Love trade paperback to show off, too. You can also go and gape at Andi Watson, who is never mistaken for a girl in person, despite the name.



THIS WEEK IN THEATRES...

I so wanted to use the Joëlle Jones illustration she did for my review of Elizabeth: The Golden Age as my decoration today, but given the special nature of its inclusion, I would rather you see it at DVD Talk or via her blog. So, you must, must, must click through to the review here. It's an experiment. We may do more as a way to spruce up the theatrical reviews. Isn't it lovely?

To that end, the actual movies:

* The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, the long movie with a long title, but that's also long on good, good stuff.

* Elizabeth: The Golden Age, a satisfying sequel to the 1998 original, starring Cate Blanchett. And did you see that Joëlle drawing?

(Regular readers who saw last night's post will note that these are the movies I saw on Tuesday, the monkey wrench in my schedule. I'm not even sure how I managed to write these reviews.)

THIS WEEK IN DVD REVIEWS...

* A Drowning Man, a really good surreal Japanese film, a really shitty DVD.

* Mala Noche - Criterion Collection, the first ever release of Gus Van Sant's pioneering debut.

Current Soundtrack: Spoon, Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga (Close your eyes, and I swear you'll hear Billy Joel. Especially on "The Underdog.")


Current Mood: off-kilter

e-mail = golightly at confessions123.com * The Website * Live Journal Syndication * My Corporate-Owned Space * ComicSpace * Last FM * GoodReads * The Blog Roll * DVDTalk reviews * My Books On Amazon

All text (c) 2007 Jamie S. Rich

4 comments:

Jenny said...

Stunning. Really stunning. I hope this continues.

Dan said...

I saw the drawing, but on their page it's been credited to "Jolle Jones"! Better check on that.

Jamie S. Rich said...

That's actually probably your browser, mate. Sometimes they replace the ë with either nothing or a ?. I went ahead and just changed it on the review. Half the time, my Firefox browser reads it right, the other half it doesn't. It's been right on their front page, though, all day.

odessasteps said...

cool.