A personal diary keeping people abreast of what I am working on writing-wise.

Friday, May 12, 2006

HE KISSED ME AND IT FELT LIKE A HIT

Fans of The Office: US who have not seen the second season finale, don't read past this photo until you do.



I can't believe that a show I found morally repugnant as an idea--a cover version of a truly original series--has turned into one of my favorite programs every week. Thanks to everyone who hammered on me to tell me that it had gotten good once it had caught it's stride, because I'm never going back now.

Last night's episode was amazing. The Pam and Jim romance has been one of the sweetest things on television, and after the tension caused by last week's airing of grievances from the complaint box, it was a nice relief to see the opening sequence with the two of them getting along. Pam's wink, Jim's smile, Dwight's frustration--all was right in the cubicle.

But then, who expected Jim's confession? When Jan told him he had to tell somebody, they completely rope-a-doped us, making us think he was going to tell her about the transfer. I swear, I literally gasped and put my hand over my mouth until the scene was over. My eyes were full of tears. I could not believe what I was seeing. Did any scientific device register the collective tremor of all the nice guys and girls across the nation who finally saw one of their own do what we fear we never could?

And then the last scene, I had the same reaction. I just could not believe my eyes.

Let's just hope that this isn't the kiss of death that so often happens on sitcoms when two people who have been kept apart finally come together. If they take a cue from the UK Office, Jim may end up back in purgatory next season, with everyone knowing his very public shame. But then, wouldn't it be nice to see an actual relationship between two people we like for once?

Current Soundtrack: Johnny Boy, Johnny Boy

Current Mood: giddy

golightly@confessions123.com * The Website * Live Journal Syndication * My Corporate-Owned Space * The Blog Roll * "Can You Picture That?" * DVDTalk reviews * My Books On Amazon

[to leave comments, click on the time-stamp below, then scroll down on the new page] – All text (c) 2006 Jamie S. Rich

No comments: